Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

Very hot wire and smoke when attempting to start engine!

Em

Very hot wire and smoke when attempting to start engine! Empty Very hot wire and smoke when attempting to start engine!

Post  Em Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 am

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction please! I've just replaced the front subframe and suspension in my 89 3.6 xjs. It's taken me a year, doing it on the drive etc. I last turned the engine over in about November 2008. The old battery was obviously dead and I tried to charge it but it didn't seem to want to know. I bought a new one today and fitted it, expecting something to happen. I turned it a few times to get some oil pumped, then tried fully but it was reluctant, and rightly so. My main concern is that if you look down from the drivers side at the coil, there is a single wire that goes to the body, so I'm guessing an earth wire. This joins the loom above the air con unit then runs up along the top of the engine into the main loom. This wire got really hot and burnt the insulation off! Does anyone know what this wire does/is. The only thing I can think of is that although I have connected the 2 earth straps from engine-subframe and subframe-body, one of them is not making a good earth. Does this seem sensible? Any ideas folks? Thanks in advance.

Ah...today I played with the car again. The wire is indeed an earth wire. With it disconnected, the starter motor just clicks, when re-connected the engine tries to turn but doesn't do so willingly. I put a meter on it and there is no voltage at any time down itm which is good. I took the plugs out and it turned over a treat, then put them back in and after a few efforts it ran, nicely too. The wire only gets hot under load, so when I turn it over and it doesn't start. I let the engine run for 5 minutes, turned it off and now it won't start again, engine doesn't even turn, so i think it must be starter motor problems? Shame, I managed to move it 3 feet!

Result! Eventually found that the earth strap from subframe-body wasn't tight enough. Now it starts every time. Unfortunately, the fan now catches on the cowling under load...Which makes a great din. Ah, it was nice to take it around the block tho'.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 am