Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

Limp home hell

ng4xjs

Limp home hell Empty Re: Limp home hell

Post  ng4xjs Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 am

It's worth having a look at the obvious first. The contacts on big plug into the side of the gearbox do need to be clean. Dirt can lead to spurious goings-on. Also might be worth just plugging your code reader in and having a look. Might need to get this done elsewhere as I think 91 is pre OBD2 (I've got a 94 which is and had a 92 which was not).

Good luck
    Nick
    maccadonna

Limp home hell Empty Limp home hell

Post  maccadonna Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:03 am

Hi,

I'm new to XJS s and this forum, but I was hoping someone might be good enough to offer some words of advice.

I fell in love with an XJS that overtook me as I pootled along in my tragic 1007 Puegoet on the motorway 6 months ago. As a result, I am now the owner of a 1991 4.0 Auto which I bought unseen (Iknow, I know..) on e-bay.

I bought the car with a known fault that it was intermittently on limp home mode, believed to be connected to a ABS return valve. Since I've had it it's been on about 95% of the time, and constantly for the last month. My local independent Jag mechanic has been over it with a fine tooth comb and finally assumed that it must be the auto ECU. He took it out and though a bit rusted it looked ok.

I found one on e-bay which didn't match the DAC number but I was assured it was a one size Fitz Hall. I've just replaced it with this shiny new one which fits perfectly but the bl**dy limp home light still clicks on a second or so after turning the key.

Is it worth trying to find a better matched ECU as I think (?) some changes were made circa 1991 or has anyone got any other ideas whatsoever? There seems to be a slight click coming from the ECU region a second before the light limp home light comes on.

I'd appreciate any thoughts advice as it would be good to know what it's like to drive an XJS in anything other than thrid gear!

Cheers,

Phil

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 7:55 am