Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ?

The Don
    The Don

Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ? Empty Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ?

Post  The Don Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:35 am

For a completely separate reason (a misguided attempt to find some other way to change a side repeater) I removed one of BAZarus' headlights following the procedure for changing a headlamp bulb. To achieve this supposedly easy task I had to:

• Use a spanner to undo the nuts holding the headlamp wash/wipe
    • Wiggle and prise the wiper arms off (they were corroded on there)
    • Open the bonnet
    • Undo a screw at the top of the headlamp surround
    • Undo another retaining screw at the bottom of the headlamp surround
    • Remove the headlamp surround
    • Prise the clips holding the headlamp in place (there are three, two of which are accessible)
    • Remove the headlamp from its housing (noting that one of the brackets had come off)
    • I would then have been able to change the bulb itself
    • Replace the headlamp in its housing
    • Replace the headlamp surround
    • Attach the retaining screw at the bottom of the headlamp surround
    • Attach the screw at the top of the headlamp surround
    • Close the bonnet
    • Reattach the wiper arms
    • Use a spanner to attach the nuts holding the headlamp wash/wipe

All of the above to change one sodding lightbulb.

On that basis, replacing one of the indicator bulbs is an engine-out job Very Happy Very Happy

Oh, and it may be a co-incidence but having done all of the above, the instrument panel and gear selector lights no longer work. I've checked and replaced the fuses but they still seem to be non-functional.

Jaguarman22
    Jaguarman22

Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ? Empty Re: Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ?

Post  Jaguarman22 Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:04 am

normal for Baz
    The Don
    The Don

Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ? Empty Obvious solution is obvious

Post  The Don Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 am

From an earlier post:

Me a couple of posts ago wrote:
    Oh, and it may be a co-incidence but having done all of the above, the instrument panel and gear selector lights no longer work. I've checked and replaced the fuses but they still seem to be non-functional.

Errrm....... so this morning I was driving up to Heathrow and all the dials were dark. As I was cursing in my Stygian gloom I thought "why not try the dimmer, you never know it might encourage the lights to come on". To be fair, I didn't hold much hope of it working.

Guess what ? Yes, you guessed it, the problem was that the dimmer had been set to "max" (which, due to the unique way in which BAZarus' electronics are configured meant that the interior lights were off)so a bit of twiddling and we were back to normal.

I can only assume that at MOT time the garage tried to be helpful and turned it to max.

Sponsored content

Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ? Empty Re: Is it really that hard to change a lightbulb ?

Post  Sponsored content