Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

3 posters

keeping me busy

Jaguarman22
    Jaguarman22

keeping me busy Empty Re: keeping me busy

Post  Jaguarman22 Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:41 pm

very Good job
    i don't understand why they decided to put leather cloth in the 36/40L
    but at least your will look correct
    good Job Very Happy
    Snakey_Rob

Post  Snakey_Rob Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:25 am

Hettys interior face lift is done!

I was fed up with the manky gaitor, cracked ski slope, super glue holding on the lighter, and a little jealous you v12 boys got a leather centre console and Hetty got a "amla" one (which i assume is posh for plastic), so have spent the last month or so assembling some goodies from ebay,

keeping me busy Img0129wr.th

After sorting out the gear box mount over the weekend, last night i decided it was time to fit them, before i started it looked like this

keeping me busy Img0130zu.th

keeping me busy Img0131go.th

keeping me busy Img0132vur.th

taking it all apart was easier than i thought, (aided by the fact whoever did it last time failed to use all the fixings to put it back together!), my only problem was disconnecting the electrical 4 pin block that attaches the seat heater that was fused, it took mole grips and pliers to get the bugger apart, but it worked.

keeping me busy Img0133xr.th

I put her all back together this morning and now she looks like this

keeping me busy Img0134rs.th

keeping me busy Img0135fc.th

keeping me busy Img0136i.th

keeping me busy Img0137kh.th

Whilst i had her open i took the draft excluder off the gear lever to see if i could find the source of her squeeky gear change- the plate that the lever sits on should be held by 2 bolts but has sheered so is held in place by one, the rubber washer on one side had perished ad was missing so cobbled up a replacement that i could fit without removing the whole assembly, wd40'd the whole lot and reassembled- she is now squeek free and changing gear can be done with one finger- a didnt realise the gearbox was designed to be as smooth as it is now- with the new bush in the gearbox mount below and the new "washer" above gear changes are now unrecognisable!

and as a Brucey bonus, removing the old gaitor now means I can dress my dog up like a gnome! Brilliant!

keeping me busy Img0139f.th

keeping me busy Img0140nb.th

my appologies for photo quality, im sure Steve Jobs and his replacement will have it sorted on the iPhone 5!
    keith andrews

Post  keith andrews Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 pm

[quote="Snakey_Rob"]I was at a bit of a loose end this w'end so decided to crack on with some of the little jobs that i've been putting off.

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/33/img0126fj.jpg/

a very lovely lady lent me a bus garage, my new trolley jack arrived so i ran out of excuses.
    i'm so glad i dont have to use the cars scissor jack anymore winding up each corner is annoying, pumping up the whole front end is so much better.

finally got round to fitting the gearbox mounting bush i bought months ago, the gear lever bouncing up and down was annoying me. If anyone ever wondered if you can remove the gearbox mounting plate without removing the exhaust or heatshield the answer is yes, but what a fiddly little f***er it is! you would of thought they would of designed the bolts to fit out of the gap between the body and the exhaust, but hey ho!

the gearbox mounting bush wasnt worn, it was absent Shocked I guess when they converted Hetty to a manual they decided theyd much prefer the box wobble than fit it properly. from what i can gather from the parts catalogue and workshop manual, the central bolt that holds the upper spring cup to the gearbox should also provide a spigot to mount the bush. it doesnt on my car. ive lodged the bush in and secured it as best i can.

it does make such a difference, as expected the gear lever no longer bounces like an epileptic on a trampoline. but also the shudder on pulling away at low revs has been eliminated and the handling is so much better. Im amazed that such a small bit of rubber has made such a difference to the car, it genuinely is phenominal.

also had an oil and filter change planned for awhile so tried to do that last night but the sump plug refused to shift, after a coupla hours with limited access, a spanner and a couple of grazed knuckles i invented this- absolute proof that no mechanical job cannot be achieved with the appropriate number of cable ties!

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/823/img0127vwa.jpg/
    https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/651/img0128rk.jpg/

bit of heating with a lighter to the sump and some leverage courtessy of the jack handle and i got it off and hetty now has nice clean fresh lubrication.

during the work Ive noticed a UFO (Unidentified Fluid Outflow) from the engine bay, a liquid is dripping down infront of the front subframe, below the steering rack, it is too far back to be from the radiator, but is certainly "watery", not "oily".
    both power steering fluid and coolant are low so filled them both to see if one drops. took it for a spin and the "anti-lock" light came on?! could it be brake fluid leak? would this effect the ABS light, cant think why that would leak so near the front of the engine bay?
    weird, any thoughts? im leaving her alone tonight and i'll reinvestigate in the morning.

Have a look to see where rad. overflow is located, maybe an odd pipe around that area,also the top up tank on mine is around that area.
    Plus the radiator bottom hoses and anything else around there with a jubilee clip is another Sunday task on any XJS, I just take the radio out in the garage with a selection of screwdrivers and small spanners and generally ever j/clip benefits from checking and tightening - this is another monthly task.
    Jaguarman22
    Jaguarman22

Post  Jaguarman22 Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks for your report it will help some of the boys thinking of doing the same job
    As for your drip all I can say is you will have to try and identify it try it on the kids give one a taste of Coolant and the other Brake fluid and then ask them which it is alien
    It is most probably coolant as there is a heater valve and pipes on the bulk head
    But if you get stuck you can all ways phone me if that helps

Snakey_Rob

keeping me busy Empty keeping me busy

Post  Snakey_Rob Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:44 am

I was at a bit of a loose end this w'end so decided to crack on with some of the little jobs that i've been putting off.

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/33/img0126fj.jpg/

a very lovely lady lent me a bus garage, my new trolley jack arrived so i ran out of excuses.
    i'm so glad i dont have to use the cars scissor jack anymore winding up each corner is annoying, pumping up the whole front end is so much better.

finally got round to fitting the gearbox mounting bush i bought months ago, the gear lever bouncing up and down was annoying me. If anyone ever wondered if you can remove the gearbox mounting plate without removing the exhaust or heatshield the answer is yes, but what a fiddly little f***er it is! you would of thought they would of designed the bolts to fit out of the gap between the body and the exhaust, but hey ho!

the gearbox mounting bush wasnt worn, it was absent Shocked I guess when they converted Hetty to a manual they decided theyd much prefer the box wobble than fit it properly. from what i can gather from the parts catalogue and workshop manual, the central bolt that holds the upper spring cup to the gearbox should also provide a spigot to mount the bush. it doesnt on my car. ive lodged the bush in and secured it as best i can.

it does make such a difference, as expected the gear lever no longer bounces like an epileptic on a trampoline. but also the shudder on pulling away at low revs has been eliminated and the handling is so much better. Im amazed that such a small bit of rubber has made such a difference to the car, it genuinely is phenominal.

also had an oil and filter change planned for awhile so tried to do that last night but the sump plug refused to shift, after a coupla hours with limited access, a spanner and a couple of grazed knuckles i invented this- absolute proof that no mechanical job cannot be achieved with the appropriate number of cable ties!

https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/823/img0127vwa.jpg/
    https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/651/img0128rk.jpg/

bit of heating with a lighter to the sump and some leverage courtessy of the jack handle and i got it off and hetty now has nice clean fresh lubrication.

during the work Ive noticed a UFO (Unidentified Fluid Outflow) from the engine bay, a liquid is dripping down infront of the front subframe, below the steering rack, it is too far back to be from the radiator, but is certainly "watery", not "oily".
    both power steering fluid and coolant are low so filled them both to see if one drops. took it for a spin and the "anti-lock" light came on?! could it be brake fluid leak? would this effect the ABS light, cant think why that would leak so near the front of the engine bay?
    weird, any thoughts? im leaving her alone tonight and i'll reinvestigate in the morning.

every job done creates 2 more, im never going to be short of things to do!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:28 pm