Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

94 V12 Gear Selector movement / mounting rubbers solved

xjexcess

94 V12 Gear Selector movement / mounting rubbers solved Empty Re: 94 V12 Gear Selector movement / mounting rubbers solved

Post  xjexcess Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:41 pm

the gear lever is moving because the transmission mount is toast

http://bernardembden.com/xjs/transmount/index.htm

an upgrade

an wheeler dealer repair the box eventually.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkZFofG0zcQ

affraid affraid
    540itouring

94 V12 Gear Selector movement / mounting rubbers solved Empty 94 V12 Gear Selector movement / mounting rubbers solved

Post  540itouring Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi i have been working on my car and while i had the ski slope removed i wanted to find out why the whole gear selector rocked and creaked when moved left and right. The main gear selector mounting plate is help down by three rubber gromets with metal tube inserts and three nuts holding them down. The problem is that the nuts can only be tight up to the metal tube inserts and then the ruber gromets were still moving in the mounting plate. I got tree extra washers just a bit bigger than the the nuts and then increased the hole in the washers with my lathe so the metal tube inserts will just go through the washer. The new washers were then put on top of the gromets making sure that the metal tube inserts were inline with the hole in the washer. The three nuts then refitted and the problem was solved. This gives even pressure to the gromets and not just the center of them. The noise has gone and the gear selector in much more firm but still is isolated by the gromets.

Any other members had this problem ? #or replaced the gromets ?

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 pm