Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

+4
johns6.0lV12
ng4xjs
robgee1964
Kevin
8 posters

Headlining

Snakey_Rob

Headlining Empty Re: Headlining

Post  Snakey_Rob Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:51 pm

I agree entirely, and of course all comment was in jest. All time spent with my grandparents (including that shared in a rover 75 diesel) is treasured. Respect for those whose life experience way outweighs my own is a given, but to mock their flaws is a right I reserve, as I expect their right to mock mine will be fully utilised! Sadly my grandfathers motoring history was a gaggle of Saabs, Rovers and Volvos, culminating in a horrific diesel astra crescendo! His life would have greatly benefited from a v12 xjs, the kind of life affirming joy such ownership can bring is something I pray you behest to your grandkids- they'll be better people for it.
    I hope you did not read any lack of feeling on my behalf for my grandparents from my last post- my love for them surpasses that even for H reg Hetty, but to make light of our elders progression through senility is our only percieved defence against the inevitable consequences of time that become us all.
    keith andrews

Post  keith andrews Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Snakey_Rob wrote:I know, stunning weather for xjs's, sadly yesterday I spent 5hrs driving the rover, did consider shoe horning the elderly grandparents and assorted wheelchairs etc in the back of Hetty, but thought better of it- getting those kinds of stains out of the leather would of been grim!

One day you will be that age, petrol will all be gone and so will your memories of driving an XJS, so be tolerant young man, signed a grandparent - with V12 XJS and E Type.
    Snakey_Rob

Post  Snakey_Rob Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:36 am

I know, stunning weather for xjs's, sadly yesterday I spent 5hrs driving the rover, did consider shoe horning the elderly grandparents and assorted wheelchairs etc in the back of Hetty, but thought better of it- getting those kinds of stains out of the leather would of been grim!
    Jaguarman22
    Jaguarman22

Post  Jaguarman22 Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:26 am

Decided to wait till end of Sep to pull the Box again
    as the weather has been really good so kept her on the Road
    Snakey_Rob

Post  Snakey_Rob Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:17 am

Yeah, I heard the nutter count was low over here so thought I best come along to bolster the numbers! How's tricks mate? Got a 4th gear yet?
    Jaguarman22
    Jaguarman22

Post  Jaguarman22 Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:02 am

good Morning Rob Good to see you over hear i think you will like it
    No Nutters (Just Me) Rolling Eyes Laughing
    Snakey_Rob

Post  Snakey_Rob Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:43 am

I can highly recommend the half timbered approach- cost me nothing and will do untill it becomes a priority, sadly it's no. 757 on the to do list at the mo!
    The Don
    The Don

Post  The Don Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 am

As a short-term (or not) fix until you can get do a proper job, I can recommend half-timbering.

I'd post a link but I cannot yet..

johns6.0lV12
    johns6.0lV12

Post  johns6.0lV12 Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm

I took of my Cabriolet targa panenls and strippe dof the headlinings.I washed them and re glued them with 3m spray adhesive. The looked great for about 2 weeks and the sagged.
    The only answer is a new "biscuit" headlining.
    ng4xjs

Post  ng4xjs Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:14 pm

It’s a simple quite straight forward and rewarding job. The most recent occasion I did one it cost me about £30 (local trimmer) for jag quality lining and £10 for High Temperature Adhesive. Providing the biscuit is okish and you remember to twist the whole thing through 90 degrees when exiting the car 3 hours should be enough time (getting the old glue off the biscuit is the bit that will take the longest). Also don’t worry about dismantling half the interior it really isn’t necessary.

Good luck
    Nick
    robgee1964

Post  robgee1964 Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:16 pm

Well this is my first post, so hello to everyone

I've been here with my old 6 cyl XJS. Trying to glue back the material doesn't look good, and besides most of the time its all grubby etc. But its possible to do a good job of re-covering the old board.

Its rather fragile, but it can be got out OK if you are careful. The material is available from several places, I used Seagals in manchester (they will send some free samples) and you need the best spray glue you get get too. It helps to have an assistant to hold up the material, which you spread and smooth it down.

Hope this helps

Rob
    Kevin

Headlining Empty Headlining

Post  Kevin Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:43 am

Is it possible to renew/replace/revitalise a sagging headling without buying a whole new backing etc. Is it not possible to take out the old headlining and board and re-cover?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 am