Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

rear quarter lights on convertibles

swagstaffe

rear quarter lights on convertibles Empty rear quarter lights on convertibles

Post  swagstaffe Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:06 am

I have a 1991 convertible XJS and have a problem with the rear quarter lights. Mostly they work fine but sometimes one will stay down and not return. This can last for a few weeks and will fix itself. Currently both windows are down and will not return, the motors seem to work as I can hear them and I do not think the glass has come off the guide as in the past it has sorted itself out. Can any body suggest a cure?? thanks Question
    jaybee

rear quarter lights on convertibles Empty Re: rear quarter lights on convertibles

Post  jaybee Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

I had a similar problem on a friend's '86 XJS. When the window went down, it stuck. You could hear the motor trying to run, but it wouldn't turn. I think the only answer is to take out the quarter light and runner as an assembly (you would have to do this wether you plan to repair or replace). It's an awkward, fiddly job, but can be done with a little time and patience. If repairing, remove the motor from the assembly, re-connect temporarily, and check if it runs OK in both directions. Lubricate the assembly (guides/runners, etc.)and refit the motor. Re-install, and don't forget to run the roof up and down completely (i.e. without stopping part way through the up or down process)so that the quarter light travel re-sets itself.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 am