Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

Air Conditioning System

HRBoler

Air Conditioning System Empty Air Conditioning System

Post  HRBoler Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:31 am

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum, so here goes!

I have had a 1984 XJS V12 Coupe since september, I love it, its a great car, but it doesn't come with out its little problems...

My heating system is not working properly. I have scoured the internet for information and have read until my eyes bled, but with no success.

Basically I cannot produce hot air, the cooling side of things is very good but the heating has died gradually over the last month...

I think I can narrow it down to a few things...

First I find the water valve on the bulkhead very odd. It appears to work correctly, lifting up when cold is selected and dropping when hot is selected which I have been told is normal. However I have discovered a way of making the heating work, and that is to set it to full temperature and wedge a small rubber block under the valve so it stays in the so called cooling position, which strangely makes the car hot???

I have taken all the panels off the dash and had a good look inside at all the cables jammed in there, I traced the vaccuum pipe from the water valve to near where it terminates thinking it was leaking but only discovered today that this cannot be true as the valve lifted when the cooling was set at 65... Would I be correct in saying its the red pipe?

If anyone can shed some light on this situation it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Henry