Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas?

Jazbar
    Jazbar

Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas? Empty Re: Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas?

Post  Jazbar Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm afraid after a few days of heavy rain the problem had re-appeared! Mad affraid
    It turns out the leak is from a hole at the bottom of the windscreen gulley under the drivers side wing by the bolt closest the windscreen . . Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas? 11112011
    It's now prepped ready for welding.
    While the wing is off i've rustproofed the whole area and am in the process of changing the discs, pads and refurbing the callipers.
    Once that is done, I'll start on the rear brakes and radius arm bushes.
    This is my first project like this but I'm learning fast.
    Thankfully I've borrowed a disused spray booth next to a mechanics workshop so theres help on hand!!
    vic38

Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas? Empty Re: Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas?

Post  vic38 Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Glad you got it sorted.
    Jazbar
    Jazbar

Post  Jazbar Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:18 am

Hi Vic,
    I got AWG (a local windscreen company in Norfolk) to come and have a look. They removed the screen and re-sealed it. Apparently, in places, it was not sealed at all it cost me £60 and they came to me.
    Hopefully problem solved. Now, the weekend job is to get the rot sorted in the footwell.
    Thanks for your advice though.
    Jas Very Happy
    vic38

Post  vic38 Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:03 pm

I had an XJ40 a while ago with the same issue. The firewall behind the heater matrix or wiper box had rusted through (can't remember which one). You could not see the problem until the matrix/box was removed. Water was running down behind the dash and pooling in the footwell. Could be the same problem?
    Jazbar
    Jazbar

Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas? Empty Rolling project 1995 4L XJS . . Water ingress any ideas?

Post  Jazbar Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi guys,
    After many years of wanting an XJS, I finally have one. It's my second Jag the first being a black 1999 XJ Sport.
    I bought the XJS knowing it has a few issues that I intend to rectify eventually.
    The issue I'm trying to sort first is a wet footwell. The previous owner a 90+ year old avoided the issue with some rubber mats! I've pulled out the carpet and soundproofing to find a nasty (though not rotted through) rust patch just below the pedals.
    I half suspect a poor windscreen seal as I think I can hear a draught sound from around the bottom of the screen. Thing is, I've removed the fuse board cover and it's all dry with no signs of water drops in the 14 year old dust.
    I've even tried pouring water over the screen.
    Any ideas and help would be much appreciated!
    Regards,
    Jason.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:35 pm