Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

2 posters

Can anyone help me ID this oil leak?

drbxjs
    drbxjs

Can anyone help me ID this oil leak? Empty Re: Can anyone help me ID this oil leak?

Post  drbxjs Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm

hi looks to me like the sump gasket is leaking but maybe a leak higher up running down the engine.you need to try and see if above the patch you are showing is dry if so is probably just the gasket but will be a fair cost to do could also be crankshaft seal (behind bottom pulley)as this can run down and drip off the bottom of the engine.hope this helps.

Last edited by drbxjs on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed some info)
    Gordon50

Can anyone help me ID this oil leak? Empty Can anyone help me ID this oil leak?

Post  Gordon50 Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

My XJS has developed an oil leak at the front end. Unfortunately its more than just the odd drop now and then. I'm not a mechanic, but I would like to know what I'm talking about if I have to take it to a garage to be repaired. I've jacked the front of the car up onto axle stands to have a look underneath, cleaned up the area and taken some photos of where it looks like the leak is coming from. As I say I'm not a mecanic, so I'd be very grateful if anyone could tell me what part of the car I'm looking at here, what the likely reason for the leak is (a failed gasket or seal?) and how difficult a job its likely to be to put right? Thanks for looking.
    [url=Can anyone help me ID this oil leak? Xjs_le11]Photo of leak[/url]

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 3:39 pm