Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

HELP! Starting issues 88 XJS HE

TOPLESS88XJS

HELP! Starting issues 88 XJS HE Empty HELP! Starting issues 88 XJS HE

Post  TOPLESS88XJS Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I recently purchased a 1988 XJS V12 Convert. It wasn't running when I bought it, but the previous owners indicated he had it running 4 months ago. I brought it home and began the process of elimination to get it started. I removed the starter (tough job) and found the solenoid was somewhat melted and the battery connection was loose. The solenoid wire going to the starter relay was spliced at some point and fell apart in my hand. I took the starter to a specialty shop and had it rebuilt. New solenoid, cleaned and painted, new solenoid wire from the top side of the engine down to the starter. Installed it back in the car, turned the key - NOTHING! I jumpered the starter from the new solenoid wire I made and the car turns over perfectly, just not from the key. I've read much about the faulty lucas starter relays, but can't pinpoint what exactly my problem is. I personally believe it may be the NSS, but I don't know how to get at it. Does anyone have any further ideas, short of replacing every relay under the hood? I've tried many things and am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I feel the solution is right under my nose but I can't figure it out.

thanks!
    Steve