Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

3 posters

Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible

Jaggywag
    Jaggywag

Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible Empty Re: Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible

Post  Jaggywag Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi there, you don't say whether the car is a 4 litre or a V12? If it is a 94 model then certainly it has a galvanised steel body. These tend to be far better on the bodywork, but still look at seat belt mounting points and front floor panels as well as wheel arches and sills.

Turning to the engine, assuming it is a 4 litre, it could either be an AJ6 or AJ16, the latter identified by a silver top to the engine, the former by a grooved silver and black top. The later AJ16 engine is slightly more powerful and economical but both are good for lots of miles if they have been serviced correctly. If poorly maintained and here I am including failing to keep an inhibitor in the cooling system, the AJ6 engine in particular will blow a head gasket fairly easily. AJ16 is more robust and fairly forgiving in my experience.

My personal opinion is that the mileage is only one indicator...has the car got a full service history? Mine is a 95 convertible (AJ16 engine) and has 114000 miles but Jaguar service history every 10000 miles. In the last two years apart from servicing it has needed a by-pass hose and a thermal sender unit, both about a tenner! It burns no oil worth mentioning and gives me 28mpg on a run, rather less if I give it some beans!

The 94 car will benefit from airbags, revised rear suspension with outboard discs and a four speed auto-box. These cars benefit from regular use and I urge you to take the leap if everything stacks up! You don't mention price but I consider that the later cars are very undervalued because of some of the problems of the earlier ones and are a fine buy at present.

All personal opinion, of course!
    steve

Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible Empty purchase xjs

Post  steve Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:12 am

Hi

pre word

i looked and spoke to loads of jaguar people, my last 3 cars have been jags
    two s types and a xf now for work and when i went for my car below, i tried to do homework
    and everyone i spoke to was under the impression if the car was left out to long
    the wheel arches rust really fast and if the car done more than 100 something nasty
    will get you (lucky not entirely sure what they meant) the five cars i looked at prior
    to the one i chose all had problems with the air con in some way

my xjs v12 convertable,36000 on clock is garaged mainly and comes out when the suns out
    it is a little juicy for daily drives also just talking to other people
    120,000 unless its had a major overhaul is getting near to a new major something part wise.
    servicing regular does help and if the car had say 60000-80000 on.

personal opinion the car has allot to go wrong its a big majestic beast with loads
    of extras loaded on.

the only other thing i will say is the xjs is a pleasure to drive and
    i am still over the moon 6 months on.

i hope i have helped in some way

regards

steve
    rctaylor56

Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible Empty Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible

Post  rctaylor56 Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm a new member, thinking of buying an '94 XJS convertible to replace my '99 Rover which was in an accident.

I tried to find a way to search the site for this topic but was unsuccessful. Sorry for boring all you longtime members with a newbie question.

I'm wanting a daily driver that I will use on vacation trips as well as in-town driving. I'm looking for a reliable car. I"m not afraid of keeping the servicing up as I found that handsomely paid off with the Rover.

The car I'm looking at has 120,000 miles on it which, for a '94, isn't bad.

Could anyone take the time to share an opinion as to whether a car like this would be suitable for a daily driver? I really do plan on driving the car and would not be buying just as a collector item.

Thanks for your time for answering such a mundane question!

Sponsored content

Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible Empty Re: Considering purchase of 1994 XJS convertible

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:33 am