Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts' Club XEC

This is the first independent UK classic car club totally dedicated to the Jaguar XJS and all Jaguar XJS Enthusiasts out there around the world WWW.XJS.ORG.UK

3 posters

Heater Problems

Dave H

Heater Problems Empty Heater Problems

Post  Dave H Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I have a Celebration 4.0l XJS, 1996, which I've had 6 months. Apparently it was one of the last 500 to be made. It's beautiful in every way, except that the heater doesn't work properly, and I'm not sure the best place to go to have this rectified. I'm not really into DIY so I really want a recommendation of someone not too far from me; I live near Reading Berkshire.

The heater controls don't work at all, except that the heater is always on slightly warm only, unless you press "manual" when it goes cold. The fan speed control works, but the temperature controls (main knob and windscreen slider) have no effect. The air conditioning works fine.

The local mechanic who usually does my work says that he can't improve it because it involves taking out the airbags which he's worried about.

Can anyone help please? Many thanks, Dave Horton.
    Ascot
    Ascot

Heater Problems Empty Re: Heater Problems

Post  Ascot Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 am

Hello Dave, I have a 1994 V12 with exactly the same problem. Also my centre air vents are always open and the recycling air button doesn't make a difference. This is a problem when I drive through a tunnel, as I get the fumes in my face.
    I can't offer any help but can just confirm that this is a common problem.
    I hope there is someone out there with a fix solution as winter is here.
    Regards, Lee.
    Dave H

Heater Problems Empty Heater Problems

Post  Dave H Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 am

Hi Lee, Yes it's the same with my centre vents being always on too! Help!! Cheers, Dave H
    The Plumber

Heater Problems Empty Heater problem

Post  The Plumber Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:15 am

If your heater is ineffective (blowing cold only) the likley problem is the heater control valve. This is situated on the passenger side of the engine bay towards the bulkhead - it looks a bit like a thermostat. It has a moving rod which needs to be loobed now and again otherwise it sticks shut preventing the flow of hot water - hence no heat. Locate it - give it a good squirt with WD40 followed by some manual persuasion. I had to use a screwdriver first to get mine to free up. My heater is tip top now - just in time for summer.

Sponsored content

Heater Problems Empty Re: Heater Problems

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:45 am